Why people choose us?
You can ring for an appointment on 0800 ATAWHAI (282 9424) and will be seen by one of our three doctors with special training in Sexual Abuse Care: Dr Cate Mills, Dr Katie Synman, Dr Annie Walden Service is provided in our Health Care Centre at 1131 Pukaki St.
Atawhai Abuse Services
We aim to provide a kind compassionate service that is patient centred. This means we will help and support you, to understand what your options and entitlements are. You will always be in control of this process.
For each person this journey is different and we can explain all the different options around care and then support you on this path.
Sometimes people just need to talk about their experience to move forward, sometimes they need talking therapy and others may need Specialist Medical support for significant psychological trauma.
We are here to help you work out what you would like to do. You will always be empowered in this process.
For some victims we collect forensic evidence, just like CSI, which you can then choose to give to the police, or choose to store with us until you have made a decision about whether you want to make a complaint to the police. If you do make a complaint we support you around this including the journey through court and recovery following this. We are often asked to give a formal statement to the police and then give evidence in court.
We appreciate that this is a very difficult process for all victims, that the journey is seldom easy or straight forward, but we can assure you that we will always be there to support you at any stage with the underlying belief that all people should be entitled to live free from the consequences of sexual abuse.
For all victims of sexual violence recent or historic we offer:
- Medical care
- Psychological care
- ACC advice and referral
- Testing and treatment for infections
- 24 hour Forensic sample collection
- Co-ordination of services
- Advocacy through the legal system
- Help for victims to regain control of their lives and relationships
- Hour long appointments
- No referral required
- Appointments made by phoning 0800 ATAWHAI (282 9424) and asking for an Atawhai appointment.
- Everyone who has been abused is entitled to come and talk with us about the care that they need.
- It is our goal to make sure they are given all the information they need to make the best choices about their care and recovery.
- This might involve helping them to find a counselor, then following up to make sure that the counselor is appropriate and effective.
- Providing short term supports for anxiety, grief, sleep difficulties.
- Offering medical examinations to check for injuries or infections.
- Discussing legal options and the justice system.
- Assessing safety and risk.
- The collection of forensic information when the circumstances of the event are not clear, just in case they are required. These remain the property of the victim until such time as they choose to release them to the police.
- Follow up until the patient no longer requires our help.
- Effective communication with all members of their health multidisciplinary team including their GP, Police, ACC.
- Our aim is to enable people to live lives free of the consequences of sexual violence, empowering people to end all forms of abuse.
- Our goal is to provide patient centered holistic care in a safe and welcoming environment.